Warrant: Murder Suspect Removed Ankle Bracelet During Out-Of-State Trip

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Developing NewsNEW BRITAIN – A murder suspect who was free after posting a $1 million bond, broke conditions of her release when she took off her monitoring bracelet and left the state for Memorial Day weekend, court records say.

Alanna Carey was arrested Wednesday after admitting to probation officers during a home visit that she spent the weekend at a cabin in New Hampshire while her ankle bracelet remained in Connecticut, an arrest warrant says.

She was charged by the New Britain State’s Attorney’s Office with first-degree violation of conditions of release. She was arraigned Thursday and is scheduled to return to court July 18.

Carey is now in custody with bond in the new case set at $500,000 cash only and a $3 million bond in the murder case.

Carey is accused in the shooting death of Edward Landry, 44, on Jan. 2, 2012.

According to the police report, Carey told police she shot Landry in a Newington motel after he became angry during a conversation and came out with a knife, according to a police report.

Police arrived and found Landry on the floor with a knife in one of his hands, the report states. He was transported to Hartford Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Carey’s sister, Johanna Carey-Leng, told police Carey called and asked her to come to the motel.

She did, and when Alanna Carey opened the door for her sister, “Johanna saw she was visibly shaking,” the report states. “Alanna told Johanna her boyfriend, Edward, had tried to kill her and had put out a hit on her family through his gang, the James Gang Motor Cycle Club,” the report states.

Johanna Carey-Leng told police she saw a knife on the floor near Landry.

Carey-Leng told police she walked back to her van, although her sister begged her not to leave. Carey followed her and both got in, the report states.

The two women left the parking lot together and drove around, as Carey-Leng urged her sister to call police. After about 20 minutes, Carey agreed to call the police and they returned to the motel, the sister told police. Carey-Leng dropped her off and drove away.

By Hilda Munoz, Hartford Courant

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s