Charla Nash Claim Dismissed By Claims Commissioner
A multimillion-dollar claim against the state by Charla Nash – the victim of a 2009 mauling by 200-pound chimpanzee in a 2009 attack in Stamford that left her blind and required a face transplant – has been dismissed by state Claims Commissioner Paul Vance Jr., state Attorney George Jepsen said Friday.
Jepsen said his office had received notice from Vance that its motion to dismiss the claim in behalf of Nash had been granted, and “the claim is dismissed.”
Nash has a chance to appeal to the state General Assembly to reverse Vance’s decision. The state enjoys “sovereign immunity” against most lawsuits for damages unless the claims commissioner grants permission to bring an action in state Superior Court.
Nash received a successful face transplant in 2011, two years after the attack by the 14-year-old chimp, Travis. The chimp was owned by her friend and employer, Sandra Herold, who died in 2010. A transplant to give Nash new hands was unsuccessful. She lost all of one hand in the attack, and all but the thumb of the other.
Vance held a lengthy hearing on the claim in August of last year.