Gas service on the street has been shut off and firefighters are monitoring the area for pockets of gas. Others businesses in the areas were told to shelter in place.
Southward winds pushed fumes from the gas leak to the Bowles Park housing complex on Nahum Drive in Hartford, said Hartford fire spokesman Capt. James McLoughlin.
Hartford fire crews are metering the area, he said. Most of the buildings in the complex are vacant, those that are occupied were likely be evacuated, McLoughlin said.
Tobey Road and Granby Street were closed, but have since reopened.
By Hilda Munoz, Hartford Courant