Chef Silvio Suppa, owner of Cafe Allegre in Madison, prepared a summer garden pasta salad in the Fox CT kitchen. Suppa will be traveling to Italy this fall to take cooking classes there and bring what he learns back to his restaurant.
Here’s the recipe for Silvio’s salad:
2 cups fresh cubed squash and or zucchini
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 large carrots, sliced thin
1 large cucumber or 2 small cucumbers sliced and halved
1/2 to 1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 to 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips and halved
2 green onions chopped
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound box of your favorite pasta
You can make the marinated vegetables the day before, and just make the pasta when you need it. Or you can serve the veggies and leave out the pasta all together.
- Mix all prepared vegetables in a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegars, sugar, oils and water together.
- Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables and combine thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper; cover and refrigerate for at least six hours.
- Prepare pasta according to package – I always like to do a little al dente.
- Once the vegetables are marinated, toss with warm or cold pasta.
Will serve six to eight people.