Community Steps Up To Help After Manchester Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A benefit dinner Sunday in Manchester at the American Legion Post 102 raised money for fire victims.

Two businesses and 24 apartment units were destroyed in a fire Saturday, Oct. 12.

“You go down Main Street and there is a big hole,” said Deb Palmer, an organizer of Saturday’s event.

Palmer and her husband watched the fire that tore through Main Street. That night she and her husband wanted to do something.

The next day they came up with the benefit dinner idea, and Monday the phone calls to local businesses began.

“The village charm that Manchester is known for is starting to spark up so it’s really nice,” said Palmer.

Jess Lisee had lived in one of the apartment units for three years. He escaped the fire with a few belongings and his cat.

He’s now staying with his parents, but while he lost nearly everything, he didn’t know then that he would gain the support of strangers.

“It’s really nice to see people willing to help out when you really need it,” Lisee said.

People have donated clothing, food, money and furniture.

If you would like to help out, you can make checks payable to the Fire Victims Fund at the American Legion Post 102 and

MACC Charities at P.O. Box 3804, Manchester, CT 0605-3804. You can also contact Deb Palmer at 860-808-4963 to donate furniture.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s