Korky Vann, the Hartford Courant’s “savvy shopper,” talks about what you need to do to not be a “shopping zombie” and spend unnecessary money at the store.
Here are some tips:
- Bargain hunters check circulars, compare brands and prices and organize coupons.
- Keep track of what you have, so you don’t buy things that are already in your freezer or pantry.
- Check out store house brands. They’re less expensive and often the same quality as major labels.
- Have a list and stick to it. Retailers encourage impulse buys with flashy end caps and displays. Download an app like Grocery IQ on your smart phone. It’s easy and organizes your list so you don’t have to.
- Don’t get drawn in by a sale sticker. Just because something is marked down doesn’t mean you should buy something you don’t need.
- Browsing can be very dangerous for shopping zombies. The more time you spend in a store, the more likely you are to buy something you don’t need, so pay attention to what you’re picking up.
For more information visit Vann’s blog at www.courant.com/savvyshopper.