Chef Jeffrey Lizotte of ON20 in Hartford visited the Fox CT kitchen to prepare his roast blue hubbard squash steak with hazelnut herb dressing.
The recipe is below.
- 1 whole blue hubbard squash
- 3 to 4 ounces olive oil
- 1 ounce salt
- 1 tablespoon Bell’s seasoning
- 8 ounces hazelnuts
- 6 large sage leaves
- 10 picked parsley leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme, cleaned
- 1 sprig rosemary, cleaned
- 3 ounces panko Crumbs
- 2 lemons, zested
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Rinse squash with lukewarm water and scrub the exterior with a clean sponge.
- Cut squash in half through the widest section
- Extract seeds and hair from center cavity with a spoon.
- Cut each half into quarters, resulting in eight sections or “steaks.”
- Rub each with olive oil and season with salt and Bell’s seasoning
- Place steaks skin side up in a roasting pan and cook for approximately 90 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 30 minutes
- To prepare the garnish, toast hazelnuts in a pan for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place in a grinder or hand chop until medium coarse.
- Melt butter in pan; add nuts and panko crumbs and toss for 3 to 5 minutes or until butter and panko have golden color.
- Add chopped fresh herbs and lemon zest once cool.
- Season with salt.
- Arrange squash steaks on platter, flesh side up and spoon hazelnut crumble on top.
- Finish with olive oil.