Pets Alert Branford Family Of Fire, All Escape Safely

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
BranfordFire

The scene of an early morning fire in Branford. (Courtesy of Branford Fire Department)

BRANFORD — Residents of 31 Flat Rock Road managed to escape from their house unharmed early Sunday after their pets alerted them to a fire, fire officials said.

The fire, which firefighters responded to around 4:30 a.m., was started when embers left the fireplace and burned through the first floor into the basement, fire officials said.

They said that the fire was visible in the basement of the two-story home when they arrived. Crews quickly extinguished the fire, officials said.

Branford Fire Chief Jack Ahern said there were “no working smoke detectors in the home, the family was extremely lucky that the pets alerted them to the danger.”

Officials said the home was uninhabitable.

By Nicholas Rondinone, Hartford Courant

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s