Executive Chef Jeffrey Lizotte, from ON20, stops by to discuss the Taste of Hartford 2014 and his recipe for chowder.
Taste of Hartford® is back! Foodies and discount diners delight: the Greater Hartford Arts Council, in partnership with the Hartford Advocate, presents the Taste of Hartford 2014, the city’s premier restaurant event – two weeks of fine discount dining from January 20 to February 2.
This is Hartford’s Restaurant Week and CTNow.com is the official site for Taste of Hartford 2014 information! Participating restaurants across Hartford will offer special multi-course, price-fixed tasting menus featuring their signature dishes for only $20.14.
Chowder: Celery Root and Clam, Smoked Bacon
Yield: 2 qts
- Little Neck Clams: 25 count
- White wine 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Shallot 2( sliced thin
- Fresh Thyme ( 1 bunch)
- Celery Root (2 pieces)
- Potato, Russet 1
- Onion 1
- Smoked Bacon 1 #
- Celery 3 ribs
- Heavy Cream 1.5 qts
- Scrub Little Neck clams under running water with a brush. Steam clams in a heavy gauge pot with white wine, water, shallots and thyme. Cook for 5-7 minutes until clams open. Strain and reserve liquid. Once cool, pick clams and chop coarsely.
- Dice 1 cup celery root. Blanch in Water until soft.
- Sweat bacon, onions, potato, celery root and celery in a large stock pot or dutch oven. Reserve 1/2 cup of bacon for garnish.
- Add clam liquid and cream. Bring to a low simmer and cook gently for 30- 40 minutes.
- Place contents (while hot) in a standing blender and mix on high until smooth.
- Add clams to soup, sprinkle in bacon and celery root and serve.