U.S. Representative Joe Courtney presented the medals to Schames Monday. Schames joined the Army Air Corps (the predecessor to the U.S. Air Force) as an airplane maintenance technician and was on active duty for the duration of the war.
According to Rep. Courtney's office, Schames was a member of the 15th Bomb Squadron, a part of the 27th Bomb Group. Originally slated to go to the Philippines prior to the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor, instead they went to Ft. Benning to train with General Patton’s tank corps. The 27th was deployed to England in 1942. During the war, Schames took part in missions in Tunisia, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France and the Ryuku Islands.
Schames was presented the following medals:
- Legion of Merit
- Good Conduct Medal
- American Defense Service Medal
- Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Service Medal
- European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with Silver Service Star
- World War II Victory Medal
- Presidential Unit Citation with Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster
- Marksmanship Badge with Carbine Bar