Demolition Of New Haven Pub Delayed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Delaney's Tap Room, in the heart of New Haven's Westville section, is being laid to rest after a massive fire destroyed this neighborhood landmark Monday night.

Five apartments and an office, which were on the upper levels of the building, were among the losses.

All of the building's occupants got out safely. However, four firefighters sustained minor injuries, including one experiencing chest pains.

New Haven Fire Chief Allyn Wright says the fire is believed to have started in the basement, and may have been sparked by an electrical malfunction, but no cause can be confirmed because Southern Connecticut Gas crews have identified a gas leak near the restaurant that needs to be tended to before investigators can come on site.

The demolition and investigation will continue tomorrow, said Wright.

Lesley Roy, a long time Westerville property and business owner, says Southern Connecticut Gas is also working to remove water from gas lines that run into many of the businesses along Whalley Avenue near the fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s