Ford Recalls 850,000 Cars For Air Bag Flaw

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Ford Motor Company put a price tag on its latest recall: $500 million.

The automaker broke the news Monday during a conference call with investors. It also said the amount will lower the company’s profit expectations for the year.

Ford announced Friday that it’s recalling 850,000 C-Max, Fusion, Escape and Lincoln MKZ models from 2013 and 2014 because a flaw in the air bag electronics might prevent them from deploying in a crash.

It said it hadn’t heard about any accidents or injuries related to the problem.

Ford’s recall comes as carmakers remain on heightened alert for defects in their vehicles. GM’s massive recall for a faulty ignition switch set this year’s record-setting recall pace.

“As a result of higher warranty costs, including recalls, in North America — mainly for prior year models — and lower industry volume and weakening conditions in South America and Russia, Ford now expects its 2014 pre-tax profits to be approximately $6 billion, excluding special items,” the company said.

The company had previously given a range of between $7 billion and $8 billion for the year.

Ford shares closed nearly 7.5% lower on the news.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

2 comments