Pomperaug High evacuated after thermometer breaks
SOUTHBURY – Pomperaug High School was evacuated Monday morning after a student broke a mercury thermometer.
A male student was transported to the hospital, officials said. He was being sent as extra precaution for evaluation and decontamination, if necessary.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) responded to the school. There was a very small amount of mercury involved, according to the DEEP. They evaluated the area and cleaned as necessary.
Students were allowed back into the school and held in the gym while the DEEP evaluated the area. The school day has since returned to normal.
Pomperaug High is located on Judd Road in Southbury.