Malloy announces major New Haven development
NEW HAVEN – Governor Dannel P. Malloy announced Thursday morning the state is contributing $21.5 million to invest in Phase II of New Haven’s Downtown Crossing project, which is to be built on the site of the former New Haven Coliseum.
These funds will provide the infrastructure improvements needed to pave the way for the $395 million redevelopment by worldwide developer LiveWorkLearnPlay.
Malloy noted this development, which is scheduled to have shovels in the ground by next summer, Will employee 4,700 workers during construction and will generate 2,800 permanent jobs when the project is complete.
The 5.5 acre site is scheduled to include a four star hotel, over 1,000 apartments and roughly 75 businesses.
Downtown Crossing, the cities plan to transform Route 34 east, reclaiming 10 acres of land the governor says is ideally suited for transit oriented development, is a major keystone in the cities overall we development efforts.
Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro (D- Connecticut) said this project is the largest development in the Elm City’s history.
Some suggest the timing of this announcement is suspicious, given that the gubernatorial election is just five days away.
To that, Gov. Malloy said he had been working on this development for a longtime and today was the first opportunity he had to announce it.