GM extends ignition switch claims deadline

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DETROIT (AP) — The lawyer hired by General Motors to compensate victims of crashes caused by faulty ignition switches is giving people another month to file claims.

Kenneth Feinberg announced Sunday night that the deadline has been extended until Jan. 31, 2015.

GM Ignition Switch Recall Site

GM came under fire last week because the family of a Connecticut woman who died in a crash had not been notified by the company, even though GM linked her death to the faulty switches years ago.

Feinberg says in a statement that the extension is being done out of an abundance of caution. He says notices about the compensation fund have been sent to nearly 4 ½ million current and prior owners of Chevrolet Cobalts and other affected small cars.

Related Stories:

One GM-related death happened in Connecticut

GM entices drivers with gift card to fix recalled vehicles

GM ignition switch death count rises to 29

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s