DMV offices to close for several days in coming weeks as computer systems upgraded
The DMV will continue to close several offices over the next several weeks as computer systems and other customer services are upgraded. According to a press release from the DMV, the computer systems utilized by the department are 40 to 50 years old and therefore don’t have connectivity to other branch locations, which hinders efficiency.
The new computer systems will allow for more services and additional registration renewals to be completed online so that customers won’t have to visit a DMV branch and wait.
Branch offices in Norwich, Putnam and Willimantic will be closed this week from Tuesday March 3 through Friday March 6. All three offices will reopen with normal hours on Saturday March 7 from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Next week, from March 10 through March 13, the Waterbury, Danbury and Winsted offices will be closed. From March 17 to March 20 the Hamden and Old Saybrook offices will be closed; followed by the Wethersfield branch from March 24 through March 27; and lastly the Enfield and New Britain branches from March 31 through April 3.
While the offices are closed, customers can always visit other open branches, or AAA offices for license and identification card renewals. For a complete list of all DMV and AAA offices, locations and hours, visit ct.gov/dmv/offices.
The closings may lead to delays at other open branches, so you can check wait times in real time on ct.gov/dmv. You can also complete registration renewals online o through the mail.
Here is a list of all the new online services that will be available when the upgrades are complete:
- Improving the existing online registration renewal program
- Online checking for items such as unpaid property taxes, lack of insurance and delinquent parking violations, which can hold up a registration renewal and cause repeat trips to DMV
- Reprinting a registration certificate
- Canceling a registration online
- Ordering online special plates, such as vanity plates
- Ordering online replacements for mangled plates
- Providing customers with an option for DMV to contact them by mail or e-mail