MONTVILLE–A gas leak caused a “shelter in place” order in the Montville section of Oakdale Wednesday afternoon.
Around 2:42 p.m. the emergency dispatch center got a call about a 1-2 inch gas main break at 29 Texas Dr.
Students at Oakdale Elementary School were kept inside past dismissal time, and residents on Florida Street, Rhode Island Drive, Texas Street, New Hampshire Lane, New York Road and Connecticut Boulevard were told to remain in their homes.
Just before 4:30 p.m. the main was capped and the shelter in place order was lifted.
The Montville Fire marshal said no injuries have been reported, and that he hoped repairs would be completed soon. He did say that delays by Eversource were “unacceptable.”
The Southeast Water Authority was doing a dig in the neighborhood when the gas line broke. The line is owned by Eversource.