New Haven rededicates Washington plaque on July Fourth
NEW HAVEN — A Fourth of July ceremony in New Haven has restored a historic plaque that commemorates President George Washington’s visit to the Connecticut city in 1789.
The New Haven Register reports the plaque, which had been stolen and sold for scrap, was rededicated Saturday by a group including the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Governor’s Foot Guard.
A local furniture store owner and historian, Robert Greenberg, first noticed the plaque was missing four years ago. Eventually police found it at a scrap business whose owner had preserved it.
The plaque was originally mounted on the Church Street building in 1932, Washington’s centennial. It marked the spot where Trinity Episcopal Church, for which the street is named, had stood when Washington worshipped there.
The church has since moved, but kept the altar used in Washington’s time.