1 person taken to the hospital after chemical incident in Hartford
HARTFORD — Emergency crews responded to a chemical issue Thursday morning, just after 9 a.m., on New Britain Ave in Hartford.
According to DEEP, acid and chlorine were mixed together for the swimming pool as part of normal maintenance, but staff noticed an abnormal reaction and called 911. Responders added a base chemical to neutralize the mixture in a 55-gallon drum.
The building is being ventilated as a precaution, but officials say there will be no lasting environmental impact.
Aetna Ambulance Service transported one patient from the Avery Heights Health Center, where the incident took place, to Hartford Hospital for treatment following the spill. One paramedic ambulance and an Operations Supervisor from Aetna Ambulance remained on the scene to assist the Hartford Fire Department.