Teen hospitalized after being bitten by snake on field trip

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WESTON — A bite from what was believed to be a copperhead snake sent a teenager to the hospital in Connecticut.

Wildlife officials say the 14-year-old was on a field trip to Devil’s Den Preserve in Weston when he was bitten by the snake on Monday. He was treated at Norwalk Hospital for a non-life threatening injury.

The snake was not captured.

One of two venomous snakes found in Connecticut, the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection says copperheads can be 24 to 37 inches long and are generally found in edges of swamps, rocky hillsides and open woods.

The copperhead population has declined in Fairfield County to the point where they are now considered rare.

Devil’s Den is a 1,756-acre preserve managed by the Connecticut chapter of the Nature Conservancy.

Here’s what you should do if you run into a snake, according to the DEEP.