Two-alarm fire on Vine Street in Hartford displaces 32

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Photo by Patrick Dooley

HARTFORD – An unattended candle was determined to be the cause of an early afternoon fire at 56 Vine Street Sunday at around 1:20 p.m.

Upon arrival, fire crews were met with heavy fire in a three-story, 18-unit, apartment building and a second alarm was struck so additional resources would be dispatched.

Numerous rescues were made by firefighters on scene. Two residents were taken to area hospitals for evaluation but no firefighter injuries were reported.

The brick building was deemed to be uninhabitable and 25 adults and seven children were relocated by the Hartford Fire Department Special Services Unit, American Red Cross and the City of Hartford Health and Human Services Department.