Ansonia house fires injures mother and son

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ANSONIA -   A house fire in Ansonia Wednesday morning injured an elderly woman and her son.

The Ansonia Fire Department was called to a house fire at 2 Greenfield Dr. around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. In fact, it was Ansonia Fire Marshal Ralph Tingley who placed the initial 911 call after spotting the fire on his way to work.

"I saw a fellow on the street waving, and glanced to the left and started to see the fire coming from the roof-line of the structure," Tingley said.

Fire investigators say the fire started in the kitchen, and smoke spread throughout the first floor of the home. Part of the home's roof caved in, the inside of the kitchen was "completely burned out," said Jim Carbone.

Carbone's 82-year-old grandmother--who has dementia-- and her son were inside.

"He smelled smoke. Obviously his first reaction was run outside to see what's going on," Carbone said.

Family members are praising the heroic actions of the son, which may have prevented a tragedy. Carbone says his uncle went back inside to make sure his elderly mother would get out of the home.

"He ran back in to get my grandmother, and I think that's when he suffered the injuries," Carbone said.

Both the elderly woman and her son were taken to Bridgeport Hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns; officials said the injuries were not life-threatening.

Fire investigators continue to investigate. So far, they say multiple kitchen appliances were powered on at the time of the fire.  They are in the process of determining which appliance could have started the fire.

"We're not gonna make an official determination on which one but it was definitely in that area," Tingley said.