New Haven man pleads guilty in fatal nightclub shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
hc-new-haven-homicide-warrant-1030-20131029

Adrian Bennett (New Haven Police Department)

NEW HAVEN — A New Haven man accused of murder in a 2013 fatal nightclub shooting has pleaded guilty.

New Haven Register reports Adrian Bennett’s trial ended Tuesday morning after he entered the plea to murder and five of the 10 assault counts he was facing.

Authorities said Bennett fired into a crowd at the Key Club Cabaret on Oct. 26, 2013, killing 26-year-old Erika Robinson and injuring five people.

His lawyer says 30-year-old Bennett realized that the prosecution’s testimony would be hard to overcome in jurors’ minds.

He says Bennett also didn’t want Robinson’s family to watch a surveillance video showing her death after it had been shown repeatedly during the trial on Monday.

A judge told Bennett he faces up to 193 ½ years when he’s sentenced Feb. 4.