Get all your Manchester Road Race stories and information here

Terror in Paris: What we know so far

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PARIS — When attackers killed at least 129 people in Paris on Friday, it set off police raids, arrests and other detentions in France, airstrikes in Syria against ISIS and condemnation around the world.

Three teams of terrorists staged coordinated attacks at six locations throughout Paris late Friday, including a concert hall, the Stade de France and at least two restaurants, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said. At least 352 people were wounded in the attacks, 99 of them seriously.

Seven terrorists were killed, one fewer than ISIS said were involved, Molins said.

Click here for more on the Paris attacks.

Here is what we know so far from officials and local news reports:

The latest

— NEW: President Francois Hollande addressed a joint session of French parliament Monday — only the third time a president has done so since 1848 — and said the Paris attacks were planned in Syria and organized in Belgium. Six of the Paris attackers spent time in Syria, according to CNN affiliate BFMTV in France.

— NEW: France and ISIS are not involved in a clash of civilizations, Hollande said, because “these terrorists don’t represent any civilization.” He also said that Syria has “become the largest factory of terrorism the world has known.”

— NEW: France intends to continue airstrikes against in Syria, and the arrival of aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle will triple the country’s ability to carry out those strikes, Hollande said.

— NEW: Hollande would like to see his country’s state of emergency stay in place for three months, and he would like to see laws allowing France to deport suspected terrorists or strip them of their citizenship, even if they were born in the country, he said.

— NEW: U.S. President Barack Obama defended his strategy for combating ISIS, during a news conference at the G20 Summit in Turkey. Sending large numbers of ground troops to Syria and Iraq, he said, would be a “mistake.”

— NEW: A video purportedly released by ISIS shows a fighter flanked by his cohort lauding the Paris attacks and threatening the United States. “I swear to God, as we struck France in its stronghold, Paris, we will strike America in its own stronghold in Washington with God’s will.” CNN cannot independently confirm the video’s authenticity.

The investigation

— Belgian authorities initially arrested seven people in sweeps following the Paris attacks, but five of them have been released, according to Jean Pascal Thoreau of Belgium’s federal prosecutor’s office. Mohammed Abdeslam, the brother of Salah Abdeslam — who is wanted in connection with the Paris attacks — was among those released. Thoreau does not know the whereabouts of Salah Abdeslam, he said, adding that no one had been arrested in raids in the Brussels suburb of Molenbeek, a city reputedly frequented by terrorists, on Monday morning.

— Salah Abdeslam, a Belgian-born French national, was stopped near the Belgian border by French police shortly after the attacks, but he was not a suspect at that time and was let go, sources told CNN.

— A black Seat and a black Volkswagen Polo, which is registered in Belgium, appear to be two cars used in the Paris attacks. The Polo was rented by Salah Abdeslam, who was in a different vehicle when he was intercepted at the Belgian border, and the Seat was found in the eastern Paris suburb of Montreuil with three Kalashnikov automatic rifles inside, CNN affiliate BFMTV reported.

— A fourth attacker from the Bataclan massacre has been identified as Samy Amimour, 28, of Drancy, the Paris prosecutor’s office announced. He has been the subject of an international arrest warrant since 2013, the office said. — Twenty-three people are in custody and weapons, including a rocket launcher, and IT equipment have been seized after more than 150 police anti-terror raids were carried out in cities across France since Friday, said French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve, who has ordered 104 people be put under house arrest.

— Two of the dead attackers were identified as Ismael Omar Mostefai, 29, and Bilal Hafdi, 19 or 20. Some of Mostefai’s and Amimour’s relatives have been detained, a common practice in France. The relatives haven’t been charged.

— European officials believe professional terrorists are joining migrant voyages. One of the suicide bombers at the Stade de France was carrying a fake Syrian passport and arrived among the refugees on the Greek island of Leros on October 3.

The scene in Paris

— Hollande declared a state of emergency across France, which lets authorities limit people’s movements and impose zones of security and protection.

— The French government announced tightened border controls, put the gendarmerie paramilitary police on heightened alert and ordered 1,500 military troops to join already increased security forces.

Repercussions around the globe

— U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry spoke with Khaled Khoja, president of the Syrian opposition coalition, over the phone and “emphasized the importance of the Syrian opposition coming together to ensure that they can participate actively and meaningfully” in upcoming U.N.-brokered negotiations between the opposition and Syrian regime, State Department Spokesman John Kirby said.

— Cazeneuve said “war” had been declared on France, and warned that “anybody who attacks the Republic, the Republic will fight back.” The French Air Force carried out bombing missions over Raqqa Sunday and Monday against strategic ISIS targets.

— Around the world, Obama pledged solidarity with France, Pope Francis condemned the killings, British Prime Minister David Cameron convened a meeting of the emergency response committee, Russian leader Vladimir Putin sent condolences to France, The Netherlands increased border security and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel “stands shoulder to shoulder to France.”