Kale arugula salad with black truffle balsamic dressing and toasted pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup dried pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon canola or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse pepper divided
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1/3 cup black truffle oil
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 cups kale, stems removed finely chopped*
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 apples or pears thinly sliced
- ½ cup craisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, blueberries, or other dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pumpkin seeds tossed with oil, and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for about 5 minutes, or until they are lightly brown. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey. Gradually whisk in both oils, and season the vinaigrette with ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. (You can also add 1-2 teaspoons of any herb you like, such as rosemary or dill)
- In a large bowl, toss greens with the apples (or pears), walnuts, and craisins with the dressing.
Serve immediately. **
*You may also substitute the arugula for an additional two cups of kale if you want a uniform salad.
** Other suggested ingredients you may add for a non-gluten free salad include 2-3 cups garlic croutons and 3-4 ounces goat cheese.
Pear-Cranberry Ginger Chutney
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 pears, preferably (bosc or red star crimson) pears, peeled, cored and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced ginger fresh ginger
- Place all the ingredients in a medium size saucepan.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally on simmer for about 20 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Cool and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.