Third person responsible for Paris attacks at Bataclan theater identified
PARIS–The third attacker at the Bataclan concert hall has been identified as a man from the eastern city of Strasbourg who left for Syria in 2013.
A police official says a text message to a woman announcing her son’s death in the Nov. 13 attacks on Paris led authorities to identify the third attacker in the Bataclan concert hall.
The official, who requested anonymity to reveal details of the investigation, said the mother received the text in English. The official said she provided a DNA sample last week, allowing authorities to identify French citizen Foued Mohamed-Aggad, 23, as the third dead attacker in the Bataclan.
One of the woman’s other sons, who has returned from Syria, faces terrorism-related charges.
The latest information Wednesday means that all the attackers identified so far were French or Belgian, all native French speakers.
Mohamed-Aggad’s shaken father told reporters Wednesday that he never knew his son had returned to France after a stint in Syria.
If he’d found out, Said Mohamed-Aggad said, he wouldn’t have let his son join the attackers.
“I would have killed him beforehand,” he said in an interview with French media that aired on CNN affiliate BFMTV.
In all, 130 people died in the Nov. 13 attacks on Paris, with the worst of the carnage at the Bataclan.
All three Bataclan attackers were killed, two by detonating suicide vests and one who was shot by police.
Foued Mohamed-Aggad was from a small town near Strasbourg, BFMTV and France 2 reported. He went to Syria in 2013, the stations said.
BFM also said Mohamed-Aggad was close to Mourad Fares, one of the main jihadist recruiters in France, and he was known to French anti-terrorism services and had a police record in Strasbourg, France 2 reported.
His father told reporters that his son, who was born and grew up in France, had been brainwashed and become another person.
Besides Mohamed-Aggad, the other attackers at the theater had also traveled to war zones in the Middle East. They were Samy Amimour, a 28-year-old from Paris who fought in Yemen, and Omar Ismail Mostefai, a 29-year-old from Courcouronnes, a Paris suburb, who traveled to Syria in 2013.
With additional reporting from CNN.