ANAHEIM, Calif.–Disneyland is making some room for the most popular characters on Earth.
It was announced at the time that the parks would be the largest single-themed land expansions ever, with 14 acres for each.
“We are creating a jaw-dropping new world that represents our largest single themed land expansion ever,” Iger said during the announcement at Disney D23 Expo 2015 in August.”These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new ‘Star Wars’ planet, including an epic ‘Star Wars’ adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.”
The two signature attractions at the parks are set to include a “thrilling battle experience” and a Millennium Falcon ride that takes guests on a customized secret mission on the iconic spaceship.
The first phase of the project opened on November 16, as part of Disney’s “Season of the Force.” Characters from the universe were added to theme parks for guests to meet, and some old attractions were transformed, including:
- Space Mountain was redesigned into Hyperspace Mountain, and the scenery was changed so that fans on the ride would move alongside an X-wing starfighter in battle.
- Star Tours, an attraction that first launched in 1987 when Lucasfilm and Disney collaborated, got new scenes from “The Force Awakens.” The attraction was last updated with new scenes in 2011.
- The Innovations building in Tomorrowland will now be the “Star Wars Launch Bay,” with special exhibits and costumed characters
- Themed restaurants opened, such as the Galactic Grill, which has “Darth by Chocolate” and the “Cheese 3PO Burger,” according to the Los Angeles Times.
- An update to the Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple, which will include new characters from the Disney XD TV show “Star Wars Rebels.”
On January 10, a bunch of exhibits in Disneyland will shut down temporarily so that construction can being on the new “Star Wars” park in Anaheim, including:
- The Disneyland Railroad and all station will close
- The Rivers of America section will close sections, including:
- Mark Twain Riverboat and Sailing Ship Columbia
- Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
- Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes
Some rides will also close permanently to make way for the Galactic takeover.
- In Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch will shutter its attractions, including:
- Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue
- Big Thunder Ranch Petting Farm
- Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree