CHESHIRE--State officials spent hours investigating a possibly hazardous material at Cheshire Academy.
The school, which is located on Route 10 in Cheshire, had one building--the Von der Porten Hall dormitory--locked down from around 4 p.m. until about 10 p.m. after a student reported finding a possibly hazardous material.
The investigation was prompted when students noticed a classmate acting unusually. Officers searched each room and found something suspicious in one of them, which led to the evacuation and lockdown of the building.
The Cheshire Police, Cheshire Fire Department and the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Emergency Services Unit all responded to investigate the material.
During the search of the school grounds a liquid, which is believed to be gasoline, was found in a wooded area. The investigation is ongoing, but officials said there wasn't an immediate threat to students or the public at any point.
"I would just say we've got some very mature students who heard a concern and something that they weren't comfortable with and they brought it to us," said David Dykeman, the dean of students and athletics at the school.
The Von der Porten dormitory houses about 100 male students in grades 9 through 11.