Misquamicut only New England beach to make critic’s top 10 list
HARTFORD – Misquamicut State Beach in Westerly, Rhode Island, has made a top 10 list of affordable beaches for families in the US by Family Vacation Critic.
The beaches were hand-picked by the editors of Family Vacation Critic and Misquamicut was recognized for offering showers, restrooms, a snack stand, gift shop and lifeguards.
Recognized as being popular with local beach-goers, the beach was listed as a top trip for travelers, who will appreciate the beach’s “calm waters and laid-back, yet fun-filled location in Westerly, with nearby attractions including Watch Hill Lighthouse, classic amusements at Atlantic Beach Park, and a statue of Mrs. Potato Head.” Also mentioned was the Water Wiz of Westerly, a water park with three slides located on the beach.
The other beaches on the list also offer amenities, pristine beaches, relatively calm waters, restrooms, showers, parking, and nearby accommodations, restaurants and other fun diversions, from historic sites to fireworks – all perfect for the next family beach vacation, according to Family Vacation Critics .
Here the other best beaches for families to visit in 2016, according to Family Vacation Critic, in alphabetical order:
• La Jolla Cove in San Diego, Calif.
• Captiva Beach in Captiva Island, Fla.
• Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore in Empire, Mich.
• Clinch Beach in Traverse City, Mich.
• The Wildwoods in Wildwood, N.J.
• Million Dollar Beach in Lake George, N.Y.
• Cape Hatteras National Seashore in Outer Banks, N.C.
• Golden Gardens Park in Seattle
• South Padre Island in South Padre, Texas