5 state park beaches reopen after one-day closure due to elevated bacteria levels; 1 new one closed
HARTFORD — As a result of stormwater runoff from Sunday’s heavy rains, bacteria levels were elevated at several state park beaches on Tuesday, the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said, but the five beaches were retested and reopened on Wednesday.
Samples from swimming areas and beaches are collected weekly by DEEP staff and are analyzed at the Department of Public Health Lab for the presence of certain indicator bacteria.
Local health departments are responsible for sampling municipal beaches and swimming areas.
The beaches that were closed included:
- Chatfield Hollow State Park in Killingworth
- Indian Well State Park in Shelton
- Kettletown State Park in Southbury
- Wadsworth Falls State Park in Middlefield
- Wharton Brook State Park in Wallingford
However, Mashamoquet Brook State Park in Pomfret is now closed. No word on when it will reopen.