Stanford University defends handling of sex assault case

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Prosecutors had asked that Brock Turner be sentenced to six years in prison for the January 2015 assault.

Prosecutors had asked that Brock Turner be sentenced to six years in prison for the January 2015 assault.

SAN FRANCISCO — Stanford University says it “did everything within its power” to ensure justice in the case of a former swimmer convicted of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman.

In a statement released Monday, Stanford says it reached out to the victim to offer support and inform her of the steps the university was taking. The school says it banned Brock Turner from campus after wrapping up its investigation less than two weeks after the attack.

The university says it’s a national leader in prevention programs, student training on intervention and support for victims. It says more work must be done at the school and elsewhere “to create a culture that does not tolerate sexual violence in any form.”

The 20-year-old Turner was sentenced to six months in jail and three years’ probation last week, sparking national outrage.