Fire marshal: Electrical problem caused shock on New London ride that injured five

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW LONDON -- State officials are inspecting a carnival ride Wednesday after five people were electrocuted.

Two girls, 4 and 7, two 10-year-old boys, and a 25-year-old adult man were injured.

On Tuesday just before 2 p.m., the ride operator for the Scrambler amusement park ride at Ocean Beach Park in New London felt a shock when he hit the stop button for the ride.

Several kids on the ride felt a tingling sensation, and one boy who got off and grabbed the nearby fence was shocked and got a minor burn on his hand.

"The child that had the most severe burns, were minor burns to the palms of his hands more of a red nature than anything, not as severe as was originally reported," said Peter Reichard, deputy chief of the New London Fire Department.

Five were taken to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital for treatment of minor injuries. The ride was shut down after the incident, but reopened Wednesday afternoon after repairs were made.

The state fire marshal said the shock was caused by an electrical problem that was isolated to a lightning circuit in a nearby ride, called The Octopus but was connected to The Scrambler.

The State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit sent detectives to the scene to investigate.

All electrical issues were repaired by a licensed electrician and re-inspected by state officials, detectives said.

No word on any charges or violations that may be levied against the ride operator.