Never miss a story: Get the FOX 61 app for breaking news alerts

Waterbury probate judge granted program that could erase attack charge

Landgrebe

WATERBURY — A probate judge charged with choking his wife has been accepted into a diversionary program that could result in charges against him being dismissed.

Judge Martin Landgrebe appeared Tuesday in Waterbury Superior Court, where he was accepted into the state’s family violence education program. Charges of misdemeanor strangulation and disorderly conduct would be dismissed next year if he completes the program.

Landgrebe continues to preside at Housatonic Probate Court in New Milford. He and his lawyer declined to comment Tuesday.

Court documents do not identify the alleged victim, but Landgrebe’s lawyer, David Moraghan, previously told the Connecticut Law Tribune that the woman is Landgrebe’s wife. Moraghan says Landgrebe actually was the one assaulted by his wife last month at his home.

Landgrebe has filed for divorce.