HARTFORD --Monday marks National Child Health Day and to celebrate, we're cooking up some Roasted cauliflower and chickpea tacos to celebrate. Katie Scott, New Enland Food Policy Coordinator with The Humane Society of the United States stopped by Good Day Connecticut to make the dish. Learn more about National Child Health Day and Meatless Mondays here.
Recipe credit: Two Peas and Their Pod
- yield: SERVES 4
- prep time: 10 MINUTES
- cook time: 35 MINUTES
- total time: 45 MINUTES
For the Tacos:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small head cauliflower, washed and cut into bite-size florets
- Corn tortillas
- 1 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 jalapeño, sliced, seeds removed
- 1 large avocado, seed removed and diced
- Chopped cilantro
For the Lime Crema:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, lime juice, olive oil, and water. Stir in chickpeas and cauliflower florets. Place seasoned chickpeas and cauliflower on a greased baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally during cooking, until chickpeas are slightly crispy and cauliflower is tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the lime crema, place the Greek yogurt or sour cream in a small bowl. Add fresh lime juice and cilantro. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Take a corn tortilla and place roasted cauliflower and chickpeas on top. Top with red cabbage, jalapeño slices, avocado, and cilantro. Drizzle lime crema over the tacos and serve!
Note: You can make the tacos vegan by using vegan sour cream or yogurt to make the lime crema or you can omit it altogether.