Report: DCF is at fault for near-starvation and abuse of toddler

Baby sucking thumb

HARTFORD — Connecticut’s Office of the Child Advocate is blaming “the utter collapse of all safeguards” for the near-starvation and abuse of a toddler who was under the care of the Department of Children and Families.

The child advocate in a 64-page investigative report released Tuesday says the child welfare agency placed the boy with relatives in Groton with a history of prior abuse and neglect allegations and a criminal past.

Various workers involved with the case told investigators they had been unaware of the foster parents’ history.

The young boy was eventually removed from the relatives’ home. At 19 months old, he was so undernourished that he had poor muscle tone and head control. The boy has since recovered.

DCF calls the case “unacceptable.” Three workers were disciplined. A fourth retired.