NEWINGTON — Police in Newington are on the lookout for a package thief that struck Wednesday.
The man pictured above stole packages from the front porch of a home on Culver Street, police said. If anyone recognizes him, you’re asked to call Officer Williams at 860-594-6254.
Unfortunately, these types of thefts are very common this time of year. Here are some suggestions from Newington Police so you don’t fall victim to a Grinch.
- If possible, have your package delivered to a location where it can be received by a trusted person.
- Ask neighbors who are home during the day to watch for deliveries.
- Request that the shipper holds the package at their facility for pickup.
- Track deliveries online and confirm delivery has occurred.
- Insure valuable items.
- Provide delivery instructions so packages are left out of sight from the street.
- Watch out for vehicles following delivery vans through neighborhoods. Some thieves will simply shadow deliver drivers and go from house to house stealing newly delivered packages.
- When sending packages, take them to a post office or other shipping facility rather than leaving them outside your home for pickup. Let the person you are sending the package to know to expect the package.
- Show off your home security system; make sure you have a sign in the front yard. If you have security cameras, make sure potential thieves know they’re there, and if you have a doorbell camera, use it.
- Sign up for email notifications from FedEx, UPS and businesses like Amazon to track your package from initial shipment to its arrival at your home or the recipient’s address if you have the gift delivered directly.