Winds bring down trees and wires, knock out power, and even flip plane in Simsbury

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HARTFORD -- Power outages popped up across the state Thursday as high winds knocked down trees and power lines.

It was a tough morning commute on the Wilbur Cross Parkway in the Derby/Orange area, near exit 58, after a tree fell in the roadway.

At approximately 9:30 Thursday morning, a tree fell across the southbound lane of the Wilbur Cross Parkway, in Orange, falling on top of a van that was traveling near exit 58.

The aftermath providing startling  images. But, imagine watching as a tree came down on this van.

Goaucia Lolli, of Northford,  was driving behind the van when "suddenly I saw this car stop in front of me and then I saw the tree fell over the car. I was like 'oh my God.' I pressed my brakes and prayed to God"

Immediately after the accident,the two occupants of the van were conscious, according to a source, but one  of them men was having difficulty breathing because the tree was pressing on him.

Several miles south, along the Milford Parkway, which connects Route 15 to I-95, the driver of tiny Toyita Yaris was more fortunate than those in the van.

Pejman Haghighi of Boston, who was traveling from his hometown to New Jersey on business,  said a huge tree just fell in front of his car and he didn't have enough time to stop.

His natural reaction: jam on the brakes. "I'm fortunate that I'm not hurt," he said.

A Wethersfield man was killed in Columbia when a tree  fell on  A truck traveling along Route 6.

In Woodbridge, a tree came to rest on some wires near the corner of Carriage Hill Rd and Peck Hill Rd., at approximately 5 AM.

Colette Proctor of New Haven,  happy she was not caught in the nearby Wilbur Cross Parkway traffic, said, "I'm not from here so I'm going to have to try to redo my GPS because now I'm completely lost."

There was more frustration in a Hamden neighborhood. Residents of Martin Terrace say that, for the third time, in as many months, a tree fell on powerlines causing the power to go out Thursday afternoon.  Fortunately, there was no  damage to vehicles or homes.

And, while the wind enabled Old Glory to show off, it meant drivers had to hang on.

Kathy Cafarelli,  traveling from New York to Boston, said, "I don't know if it's just the top heavy car or what. But, you have to keep both hands on the wheel at all times because it's blowing all over the place."

In Simsbury, police and fire departments responded to Simsbury Airport when a plane flipped over there due to the wind. It was not being operated and not secured like the other planes at the airport. There were no injuries in that incident.

Thousands of homes were without power and power company crews are responding to reports of wind-induced damages and outages. As of 2 p.m., Eversource reports 5,112 customer outages in the state. United Illuminating reports 811 customers without power.

In New Hartford, Route 219 was closed at Ratlum Road because of a small explosion. A main power line went down and burned the asphalt.

In East Granby, power lines and a tree were knocked down in the yard of 4 Grandbrook Park Road.

The Bolton Fire Department responded to the area of 18 Watrous Road near the intersection of Bolton Center Road for tree and wires down there.

The Tolland Fire Department responded to the area of Hunter Road near intersection of Peter Green Road for tree and wires down there.

The New Milford Police Department said Candlewood Mountain Road at Lookout Ridge and Aldrich Road was closed due to downed trees and wires.

There were also downed trees reported in Barkhamsted, Hebron and Madison.

Talcott Mountain Academy in Avon closed Thursday due to a power outage. Foran High School in Milford delayed their opening until 10 a.m. due to a power outage. West Woods School in Hamden had a two-hour delay due to a power outage.

In Redding, the School Department said that due to trees down on many roads in both Easton and Redding, many buses were late Thursday morning.