The nursing home at 60 West St., the subject of much recent controversy, is now fully licensed and has begun admitting patients.
The state-backed facility, which will provide long-term care to chronic and terminally ill qualifying parolees and mental patients, was licensed Thursday by the state Department of Public Health. Town officials were notified in the afternoon that the first patient, believed to be from Connecticut Valley Hospital, had been admitted.
Tony Terzi spoke with residents of the area who are scared because there’s nothing they can do about it.
Mike Martino, a resident of nearby West Street, said, “I just wish that they went somewhere else. If this is such a great thing, they should have put it in the governor’s mansion up there.”
Some neighbors were comforted to hear only parolees would be housed, according to the state, but there was some skepticism. Businesses located about 100 yards from the entrance to the controversial nursing home weighed in as well on the subject of the patients being called parolees.
Paul Zygmont of Ziggy’s Barber Shop said, “The reason they’re there is because they’ve been in trouble before. And, you wonder, what’s gonna happen in the future.”
This unwanted addition to the neighborhood has got some neighbors so upset that they’re even considering moving out of state.