Residents Evacuated After Gas Leak In Manchester

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MANCHESTER — A road construction crew ruptured a natural gas line on Union Street Tuesday, forcing the evacuation of nearby residents.

The smell of natural gas was thick in the air early in the afternoon, and Union Street from North Main Street to Wood Lane was closed to traffic. Eighth Utilities District Assistant Fire Chief Steve Hilinski said firefighters had evacuated nearby residents who answered their doors.

Some residents, however, apparently did not respond to the danger alert. A utility worker approached Hilinski and other firefighters to report that a man in the area was smoking a cigarette. Firefighters went to find the man.

The line that was hit was not marked, Hilinski said. Connecticut Natural Gas workers were on the scene.

Story by Jesse Leavenworth, Hartford Courant

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s