It’s summer and when it comes to exercise, there are some things to consider to stay safe in the heat. Fitness expert and iron man Tom Holland shares tips for keeping cool and staying safe during a workout.
1. TIME: Try to exercise in the early morning or late afternoon if possible. Avoid running between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
2. CLOTHING: Wear light-colored, performance-wear wicking materials. Stay away from cotton and don’t go shirtless.
3. HYDRATE: Drink plenty of water before, during and after a workout.
4. ADJUST YOUR GOALS: You simply cannot go as fast in the heat.
5. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY: Be mindful, if you stop sweating, that is a sign of trouble.
6. COOLING VEST: Elite athletes cool down before competition with cooling vests.
For more information on the fitness expert, visit his website: www.teamholland.com