Dawn Bryan, etiquette/culture coach and author, provides some tips for making an acceptable toast during a wedding. She also lays out some rules about what you should not do.
- Balance sentiment and humor, but avoid hackneyed phrases and quotes.
- Be prepared, be thoughtful and practice.
- Keep it short.
- Your toast should be appropriate for all ages and not bore guests with a story only relevant to family members or close friends.
- Do not drink before toasting.
- Avoid banging your glass to get attention.
- Don’t speak for more than a couple of minutes.
- Make sure to speak for the room, but not to the room.