September is Pain Awareness Month and Dr. Eric Collins, Physician-in-Chief of Silver Hill Hospital, joined the Fox CT Morning Extra to talk about prescription drug abuse.
Prescription drug abuse is the use of a medication without a prescription, in a way other than as prescribed, or for the experience or feelings elicited.
Eight tips to beat the pain without medication:
- Be Grateful – appreciate daily joys.
- Be Engaged – read a book, watch a movie, or volunteer in your community.
- Be Active – find safe, comfortable ways to exercise.
- Be Relaxed – practice meditation, deep breathing, and be mindful.
- Be Well – do “mini checks” to focus on what feels right, not what’s in pain.
- Be Rewarded – do something nice for yourself.
- Be Kind – put personal needs in perspective.
- Be Open – join a support group.
For more information, visit the website: www.silverhillhospital.org
For substance abuse and mental health services, call: 1-800- 662-HELP or visit: http://www.samhsa.gov/treatment/
National Institute on Drug Abuse: ww.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/prescription-drugs/chronic-pain-treatment-addiction
National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence:
And always call 911 in an emergency.