Woman Who Drove Into West Hartford Radio Shack Had BAC Twice The Legal Limit

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Julie Stagis/Hartford Courant)

WEST HARTFORD — A 21-year-old woman’s blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when she drove her car into Radio Shack and onto the front lawn of another South Main Street business early Sunday morning, according to police.

Samantha M. Taschner, of 40 Martleshamheath, Madison, was charged with driving under the influence, evading responsibility and two counts of failure to keep right, according to a police report filed by West Hartford Police Officer Gregory Jones.

Police responded to a report of an accident at 3:08 a.m. on Sunday and found a Volvo station wagon in the front yard of 80 S. Main St. The car had hit a small tree and a sign before stopping, Jones wrote.

Taschner was in the driver’s seat, crying. Jones smelled alcohol, and Taschner was slurring her words, he wrote.

Police also found damage at 39 S. Main St., “where Taschner had driven her vehicle into the side of the building and through a stop sign,” according to the report. Glass windows at Harry’s Pizza and Radio Shack were boarded up on Monday; both businesses were open.

Taschner told police she had three drinks and she “only remembered last leaving for the night in her car and then ending up in front of 80 South Main St.,” but didn’t remember the accidents, according to the report. She later told police she had been drinking at Bartaco, Grant’s and Treva and couldn’t remember how much or what she had to drink.

Taschner failed a series of field sobriety tests. Jones said he was unable to complete several attempts at breath tests because Taschner was vomiting. When police were able to complete a breath test at 4:51 a.m., Taschner’s blood-alcohol content was .1761 percent, more than double the .08 percent legal limit for driving, according to the report.

She was released on bail and is scheduled to appear at Hartford Superior Court on Oct. 31.

Julie Stagis, Hartford Courant

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s