Kevin Scott, executive chef at Red Lantern at Foxwoods Resort Casino, visited the FOX CT kitchen to prepare a different type of holiday meal: roasted duck. The recipe is below.
1 cup hoisin sauce*
2 tablespoons black bean paste
½ cup sesame oil
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sliced Cucumber
1 cup sliced Scallion
Duck sauce to taste
*Can buy at any Asian market
4 cups water
4 cups red wine vinegar
4 cups corn syrup
1. Rinse duck under running water.
2. Combine hoisin sauce, black bean paste, sesame oil, sugar and salt together. Use mixture to rub the inside of the duck throughout.
3. Create blanching liquid using all ingredients listed.
4. Combine blanching liquid in pot and bring to a boil. Tighten the duck’s skin by blanching duck in the mixture for about 10 to 15 seconds.
5. Remove the duck and let air dry bare for 4 hours by refrigeration or oven fan.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees – wrap duck fully in aluminum foil and cook for 1 ½ hours.
7. Remove duck from oven and let rest for 30 minutes.
8. Slice the duck into thin pieces and wrap in peking pancakes with sliced cucumber, scallion and duck sauce as needed.