Patty O’Brian, regional director of the Alzheimer’s Association of Connecticut and Lisa Clark, vice president and administrator of McLean Health Center, talk about some of the challenges associated with the holidays when taking care of someone suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
What can you do to prepare a person with memory care issues for the holidays?
- Talk and show your loved one photos of the people who are coming to visit
- Try to maintain a regular routine as much as possible
- Play familiar holiday music and serve traditional dishes
- Have a “quiet” space for your loved one to go if it gets to be overwhelming
- Don’t over decorate, which could be overwhelming