Chef and cheesecake connoisseur Bruce Williamson has a tasty holiday treat for you. He visited the FOX CT kitchen to prepare his Onyx crème anglaise cheesecake.
The recipe is below. For more information, visit www.chefbruce.tateauthor.com.
Onyx crème anglaise:
2 cups half and half
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded; pod cut into 1-inch pieces
5 egg yolks
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup Onyx moonshine
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a heavy, medium-size saucepan over medium heat, warm the half and half, sugar, vanilla seeds and vanilla pod for 5 minutes or until just steaming.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, three tablespoons sugar, moonshine and salt. When milk is steaming, while constantly whisking, slowly pour milk into the egg mixture. This will temper the eggs and keep them from scrambling.
- Pour the custard back into the same saucepan and return to the burner. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until custard coats the back of a spoon and your finger leaves a path when it is drawn over the spoon.
- Add the custard and vanilla pod in a blender and mix for 1 minute until vanilla pod is pulverized.
- Strain the custard through fine mesh strainer and into a bowl. Stir in vanilla extract, cover and chill completely.
- Remove the side of the springform pan and transfer the cheesecake to a serving platter. Slice the cheesecake and top slices with crème anglaise and serve. Enjoy.