Chef David Caudill, of Salute Restaurant in Hartford, visited the FOX CT Morning Extra to prepare rigatoni pomodoro, a dish his restaurant will be offering during the Taste of Hartford, which continues this week.
From Jan. 20 through Feb. 2. diners at a number of Hartford restaurants can get price-fixed menus featured signature dishes for $20.14. For more information on the Taste of Hartford, click here.
Caudill’s recipe for rigatoni pomodoro is below. Serves four to six people.
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish onion
- 2 tablespoons sliced whole garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chiffanade basil leaves
- 1 cup diced tomato concasse
- 2 quarts fresh tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, diced
- In a hot saucepot add olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until caramelized (golden brown)
- Add basil and tomato concasse
- Add fresh tomato sauce (recipe is below) and season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer
- Toss in cooked aldente rigatoni or your favorite pasta, and diced fresh mozzarella
Fresh tomato sauce (one gallon)
- 5 pounds fresh plum tomatoes, ripe
- 1 cup basil leaves, fresh
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes (12-ounce can)
- Salt and pepper
- Place all ingredients in sauce pot and bring to a boil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Let simmer for 2 hours
- Puree and adjust seasoning