Bail Set At $100,000 For Man Accused Of Boston Bomb Hoax

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Boston Backpack Suspect

Kevin Edson, a.k.a. Kayvon Edson, who also claims a Mission Hill address, was arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court on charges of disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, disturbing a public assembly, possession or use of a hoax device, and making a false bomb threat. The latter two charges carry up to five and up to 20 years in state prison upon conviction. (Boston Polce Department)

(CNN) — A judge on Wednesday set bail at $100,000 for a man accused of carrying a fake bomb near a Boston crowd that was marking the first anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings.

The judge also ordered the suspect, Kevin Edson, also known as Kayvon Edson, to be seen at a state hospital that evaluates defendants’ sanity after a mental health professional told the judge that Edson has a history of psychiatric disturbances.

Police said they arrested Edson, 25, on Tuesday evening after he was found carrying a backpack containing a rice cooker near the Boston Marathon finish line on Boylston Street, where survivors of the 2013 bombing were to complete a marathon-length walk marking the attack’s anniversary.

In the 2013 attack, two pressure-cooker bombs exploded, killing three people and wounding at least 264 others.

A barefoot Edson, carrying a backpack and wearing black clothes with a veil and hat covering his face, screamed and yelled during Wednesday’s event on Boylston Street, drawing officers’ attention, police said.

Officers found a rice cooker in the backpack, and Edson told them it was nonexplosive, Assistant District Attorney Susan Terrey told Judge Michael Coyne on Wednesday.

Authorities evacuated the area, and a bomb squad detonated the rice cooker as a precaution. Specialists determined the object had not been a bomb, police said.

According to Terrey, Edson told police: “I knew what I was doing. It was being conceived in my head. It’s symbolism. Come on. The performance got the best of me.”

Terrey asked for the $100,000 bail, arguing that Edson had shown a willingness to put his interests ahead of society’s.

Edson had been hospitalized multiple times for psychiatric problems and had been off his medications for three to four months, a mental health professional told Coyne, without elaborating about the disturbances.

Defense attorney Shannon Lopez argued for a bail of $5,000, telling the judge that Edson needed “some assistance to stabilize himself mentally” but arguing that he wasn’t a danger to the public, has never been convicted of a crime and never made a bomb threat.

Edson was charged with disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, disturbing a public assembly, possession or use of a hoax device, and making a false bomb threat. The latter charge carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison upon conviction, the Suffolk County district attorney’s office said.

He has pleaded not guilty, CNN affiliate WHDH reported.

“If this was a performance, it was the most irresponsible, senseless, and selfish performance I can imagine,” Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said in a news release. “It was also criminal. It was akin to shouting ‘fire’ in a theater. People were put in fear, public transportation was disrupted, and a day of somber remembrance and reflection was marred by this defendant’s choices.

“There could not have been a worse time or place for this inexcusable behavior.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s