University of Hartford Responds To Meningitis Scare

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The University of Hartford will keep its health center open today and through Wednesday with extended hours for students after a senior died from bacterial meningitis on Friday.

The school notes that before enrolling in the university students are required to get a meningitis vaccine. The male student who died, senior Patrick Chittenden lived off campus but the school is taking no chances with making the entire student body aware and offering help.

Chittenden lived in a complex with other students in West Hartford and the schools is working to make sure none of them are affected. The virus is transmitted when people are in close contact with one another for long periods of time and can be spread through everything from mucus and coughing to sneezing and kissing.

Doctors say it’s urgent that any students who could be showing symptoms immediately visit the health center. Symptoms include high fever, severe headache, nausea and sensitivity to bright light.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Julie

    In the first paragraph it says the disease was bacterial meningitis, and later it talks about the "virus" being spread. Was it bacterial or viral meningitis?

  • Dan Kinsman

    In all the reporting of this story you bozo's in the news didn't ask the important question. How did this student get it? did he travel out of the country? Did he pass it on? Is it a threat to the community?