Police Suspect Arson In Fire At Meriden Restaurant

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Video report by Jeevan Vittal, Fox CT

Text by Kelly Glista, Hartford Courant

MERIDEN — A fire at Violi’s Italian Restaurant at the Hunter Golf Club early Monday morning may have been caused by an electrical problem in a golf cart parked next to the building, fire officials said.

However, surveillance video shows a suspicious man outside the building before the fire, police said. The man, wearing a baseball cap and glasses, is seen carrying something that looks like a gas can, police said.

“This video is still being looked at carefully,” Sgt. Darrin McKay said. The man is being considered a “person of interest,” he said.

The two-alarm fire started around 3:04 a.m., according to fire officials. Five engines responded to the blaze at 688 Westfield Road.

Fire officials said the electrical wiring in the golf cart was destroyed. Firefighters had to make holes in the roof of the restaurant to vent the smoke from the building.

No one was injured in the fire.

Anyone who recognizes the man in the video footage is asked to contact police at 203-630-6318.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s